Monday, April 21, 2008

Trigg Thinking...


I always knew I would end up living near the sea....
It may have been the monotony of life in a concrete jungle with no space, or room to breathe. It may have been the happiness I always felt enveloping me during visits to the seaside when I was a child...
Ten years ago I found my place when I arrived in Perth. My first day in Australia was spent at a place probably classed as an average Perth beach, City Beach. But I dont think I will ever forget the surge of life I felt feeling the warmth of the sand beneath my toes. I was dazzled by the blueness of the environment, the sea and sky totally memorised me. Even then Im sure I knew deep down that this would become my home. City Beach itself might not be the most special in the world, but to me that day it seemed as perfect as can be. Since then of course I have seen many other Australian beaches, from the beauty of Broome to the rugged unforgiving isolation of Tasmania, and the majesty of Margaret River.
Today was an Autumnal Perth day, not warm at all but it was still a great day to sit at the beach. Is there ever a day when it isn't! I went to Trigg Beach (pictured) for a picnic and a chat with a friend. We sat and talked and ate, and talked and ate some more. I thought and thought, and thought some more. One of the points being made too me was that maybe I think far too much about lots of things. I agreed and added that I also didn't think about other things enough. Hmmmm, I guess it was just one of those days, as it is one I will remember always....
Why? Well basically I couldn't answer many of the questions I was asked today. Maybe with thought I will be able too, but put on the spot (a necessity for all of us sometimes) I literally didn't know the answers to the points that were being made. Now Im not proud of that, but Im not going to beat myself up about it either. Several times I was close to tears, as my mind wirred and lept around trying to make some sense of well my 'senses'. And yes I did really need a hug. I couldn't even ask for that...
Several hours later though I remembered something important...
I remembered the way I felt so alive that first day in Australia.
I remembered the way it felt so natural playing cricket in the surf in Margaret River with my brother when he came to visit.
I remembered the way I felt eating ice cream whilst paddling with my Mum in Cottesloe in 2001.
I realised that much of what was said too me today was so very very true, and Im glad it was pointed out with such clarity and wisdom.... Sometimes you so need someone to do that....
I will spend more time at the beach......

1 comment:

Angel said...

I find the beach a very spiritual place. It feels very cleansing to have the wind in your hair and to look out over the vast ocean and feel quite small and insignificant. I wrote so much for this post but the internet connection was lame so wasnt able to post it :( Anyway...here's that (((hug)) x